Monday 15 September 2014

A simple way to use your chicken essence

My wife made a face when I suggested she should start drinking some chicken essence. The chicken essence she received since the birth of Albany remained untouched, clearly indicating how much she adored this product. Though I am pissed poor, I haven't thought of selling my surplus chicken essence on E-bay yet. So I decided to try using it.


It was a lazy Saturday afternoon and my wife was hungry. After serving her a noodle dish that didn't quite impressed her previously, I decided to play safe and go for mi fen, her favourite staple. Though I never really mind cooking, it has never been the intention to spend too much time in the kitchen. So I started off with two pots instead of one to speed things up. 


Heating bee hoon in my wok on the left and frying up some ikan bilis in sesame oil on the right. This would not end well once we start to fumble. So don't fumble.



Due to the fact I am a noob, I forgot to add ginger to fry up with ikan bilis, So I added my ginger slices after I added water and heard that 'Slooooosh' (means you are doing it right). Luckily nobody knew I cheated by adding ginger later on.


On the left,  after the bee hoon was cooked so I strained it off and pour the water away. Since I had to time to spare on the right pot, having needed to cook longer because I forgot to add ginger, I had the time to arrange my vegetables in my wok like a delicate maiden. You are looking at some carrots, broccoli, mushrooms, scallops and cauliflower. 


The stock on the right hand side pot should be well done (say about 20 minutes?) and looked 'whitish' before pouring into the wok through the strainer, retaining the ikan bilis and ginger slices.




Add a bottle of chicken essence. Muahahahahaha. Cover wok and bring broth to a boil, then simmer till the vegetables attain your preferred softness. I forgot about it and only came back after 20 minutes.




The steamy wok gave me a lousy photograph of the end product. Fortunately, the pot tasted better than it looked. The pre-cooked bee hoon, showered with a broth of vegetable and chicken essence, left my wife beaming as she ate. That would be lovely for the next Winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment