Monday 22 September 2014

Warm Egg Custard


Wanna eat egg?


Egg is good food for pregnancy as well as confinement. It contains more than 12 vitamins and minerals, not to mention a well known source of protein. Since an egg is about 90 calories only, we can afford to add the unforgivable - some sugar. Add it to taste just before you are ready to steam your egg. Just do a quick dip and lick to make sure it's sweet enough for you. Raw eggs are yucky but they don't kill.


A good egg custard in my opinion, should be as close to soya beancurd as possible. Firm but soft yet runny when it enters the mouth. I'm still far from perfecting this but at least I have managed to do this to my acceptable level.


The trick I would remember by is going by proportion instead of weight. It is so much easier to remember this tip rather than having to search for a recipe all the time. I would put 1 egg to 1.5 portion of water. If you want a richer outcome, you may want to use milk or soy milk. There is no easier way but to use the egg shell as a measuring tool. 


So if you use 1 egg : 3 half egg shells of water. That will fulfill the 1:1.5 ratio without the need of a measuring equipment. 


So it doesn't matter how many eggs you are using. No mathematics will be required. Just egg shells. Savvy?




You can destroy the ugly clumps of egg white by simply straining it. Since it was yet another lazy day, I sacrifice my one and only teapot by pouring the entire mix into the mesh strainer. Within a minute, my egg was filtered.



And then I 'kope' some of my wife's baking stuff as my egg container. They were placed on a standard steaming set up. With boiling water (high heat) beneath all ready to gas your egg to glory.



So it began.



With that, I had to get the lid on for a proper steaming process. Immediately, I switched it down to low heat and left it there for 15 minutes. If you are using a big container, that should be more or less the correct timing. My eggs turned out a (just) slightly overcooked, perhaps because of the small containers I used (which required less time to cook the egg evenly) So if I were to do that again, I will adjust my steaming timing down by 1-2 minutes. If you did not get your custard to the perfect texture, adjust your timing accordingly and you will nail it the next time.


The steam blurred my final picture

Having said that, mine didn't turn out badly. My medal of accomplishment came from the fact both ladies in the house finished everything within minutes. Yet another meatless item for WD.

No comments:

Post a Comment