Monday 15 September 2014

Ginger salmon steak


I decided to cut my ginger into strips today because I felt like it. Remember to heat the sesame oil on high heat till wok is pissed hot. Then dump your ginger in.



While ginger is frying up, start cooking your salmon because lazy people have no patience for linear task progression. A nice salmon steak requires little or no preparation. A five seconds massage on both surfaces with a few grains of salt will do just alright. The key tip is that when you slap the salmon into the pan, it has to sizzle! If it doesn't, your pan is not hot enough. I know everyone has an opinion how to cook a piece of fish but my task is to whip up something really fast because my toddler has already climbed up to the dinner table asking for her plate. Keep an eye on your ginger. Once they are nice and crispy, remove from wok or die.



Is this piece of salmon cooked? If you serve this I guarantee it will be returned to the pan later on. If you are taking photographs of your fish while flipping it around like me in the early Spring weather of 20°C room temperature in Perth, you'll find it hard to cook a rather thick layer of the fish evenly. My preference of cooking it fast is to cover the wok and allow surrounding air temperature to build up. This helps to cook the inside a lot faster while the surface is fast browning. Allow at least 2 minutes of cooking on each side (I used high heat). Flip fast and cover back to prevent further loss of heat. If you observe the surfaces are done to perfection, turn heat to low. This time for this stage determines if my fish is completely cook inside. I took about 5 minutes. Alas it is impossible to give a reliable time frame required for this stage because it largely depends on your type of cooking ware, the thickness of your fish or even your room temperature. I don't use thermometers or anything so I based it a lot on that 'feeling'. Fortunately, this 'feeling' can be nurtured. The trick is to screw up often enough. If there is a more reliable way of doing this, please teach me masters.




Not the best attempt but it'll do. Serve hot and immediately.

2 comments: